Offical Nebraska Government Website

Did You Know?

Nebraska joined the IRP program in 1975 and IFTA in 1990. Prior to the base state agreements, carriers were required to file an application with each state they traveled in.

Did You Know?

2017 IRP,IFTA & UCR have been mailed. Enforcement dates for 2017 are IRP February 1, 2017, IFTA March 1, 2017, UCR January 1, 2017.

Motor Carriers

Remember all mileage and fuel source documents for the IRP & IFTA programs need to be kept for five years. Click here for more information.

Did You Know?

We are now accepting IRP & IFTA payments on-line.

Did You Know?

Federal Heavy Vehicle Use Tax (HVUT) Form 2290 for the 2016/2017 year is now being processed by the IRS.


Subscribe Now!


The Unified Carrier Registration (UCR) Program is a federal law that requires individuals and companies that operate commercial motor vehicles in interstate commerce to register their business with Nebraska and pay an annual fee based on the size of their fleet. The UCR applies to all states in the continental United States and the provinces of Canada (if the Canadian carrier travels in the lower 48 states, UCR is required), if the state or province in which your principal place of business is located, does not participate in the UCR program, you may choose another state in which to register. Nebraska will accept applications from individuals and companies located in Missouri, Manitoba and Ontario along with individuals and companies located in Nebraska.

The UCR fees are based on the number of commercial motor vehicles you reported on your last MCS-150 form or the total number of commercial motor vehicles owned and operated for the 12-month period ending June 30 of the year immediately prior to the year for which the UCR registration is made. This includes owned and leased vehicles (term of lease for more than 30 days).

A “commercial motor vehicle” is defined as a self-propelled or towed vehicle used on the highways in commerce principally to transport passengers or cargo, if the vehicle:

  1. Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of at least 10,001 pounds or more, whichever is greater, or
  2. Is designed to transport 11 or more passengers (including the driver): or
  3. Is used in transporting hazardous materials in a quantity requiring placarding.

There are five classifications required to participate in UCR they are as follows:

  • “Motor carrier” a person providing motor vehicle transportation for compensation.
  • “Motor private carrier” a person who provides interstate transportation of property or passengers in order to support its primary line of business.
  • “Broker” means a person other than a motor carrier, who sells or arranges for transportation by a motor carrier for compensation.
  • “Freight forwarder” a person that arranges for truck transportation of cargo belonging to others, utilizing for-hire carriers to provide the actual truck transportation, and also performs or provides for assembling, consolidating, break-bulk and distribution of shipments and assumes responsibility for transportation from place of receipt to destination.
  • “Leasing company” a person or company engaged in the business of leasing or renting for compensation motor vehicles they own without drivers to a motor carrier, motor private carrier, or freight forwarder.

Fees Due

Brokers, Freight Forwarders and Leasing Companies:

Brokers, freight forwarders and leasing companies pay the lowest fee tier.


Fleet Size
(power units only)
Fee per
0-2 $76.00
3-5 $227.00
6-20 $452.00
21-100 $1,576.00
101-1,000 $7,511.00
1,001-200,000 $73,346.00

Example: A motor carrier operating four tractors and nine straight trucks has a fleet size of thirteen commercial motor vehicles and pays $452.00.

If you reduce the number of vehicles on your UCR application , you are required to maintain a list of the vehicles that were subtracted,forms have been developed to help you keep track of the vehicles removed from your application and can be found at www.ucr.ingov. UCR-1 UCR-2 Do not submit the lists to the DMV, retain them in your records.

The UCR application is available in pdf form 2017 UCR 2016 UCR Application. You may complete the application form and mail it, along with the correct registration fee, to the Nebraska DMV. Nebraska DMV will accept, cash, check or money order only, NE DMV does not accept credit cards.

On-line filing is available by going to Payment must be made by either credit card or e-check. Log in and follow the step-by-step instructions. This site is not maintained by Nebraska DMV, but is a national site. NOTE: there is a transaction fee for filing on-line.

Motor Carrier Services
301 Centennial Mall South
P O Box 94729
Lincoln NE 68509-4729
Fax 402-471-4024 or 402-471-3920
Office Hours:
8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
Central Time