Offical Nebraska Government Website

Did you Know?

That there are 2,339,986 vehicles registered in Nebraska.


[ Exempted Uses Under the Motor Vehicle Records Disclosure Act ]

[ How to Complete an Application ] [ Download an Application for Copy of Vehicle Record ]

Motor vehicle records are a matter of public record. As a result, any individual or business who requests a copy of a motor vehicle record and certifies that the purpose for the request is one of the Exempted Uses as listed in the Uniform Motor Vehicle Records Disclosure Act , may purchase a copy of the most current record on a motor vehicle.

History records which contain Nebraska only data are not available from the DMV unless the record requested is for use in connection with a proceeding in any federal, state, or local court, government agency, or self-regulatory body.

Information on obtaining a motor vehicle history report, multi-state or Nebraska, for all other purposes is available through the National Motor Vehicle Title Information System.

The following information appears on a motor vehicle record:

  • Vehicle Information:
    • Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) for a motor vehicle;
    • Hull Identification Number (HIN) for a motorboat;
    • Year;
    • Make;
    • Model;
    • Color.
  • Title Information:
    • Title number;
    • County of issuance;
    • Vehicle Acquisition date;
    • Title issuance date;
    • Odometer reading at the time of title issuance;
      • “A” indicates actual mileage;
      • “Not Actual” indicates odometer repair that prohibits a return to actual mileage status;
      • “E” indicates that the mileage exceeds the mechanical limits of the vehicle's odometer;
      • “Exempt” indicates that the vehicle is ten years old or older and it is exempt from odometer certification.
  • Lien Information (if applicable):
    • Lien notation number;
    • Date of notation;
    • County in which the lien was noted;
    • Name and address of lienholder.
  • Registration Information (if applicable):
    • Plate number;
    • County in which vehicle is registered;
    • Date registration was issued;
    • Date registration expires;
    • Plate type code;
    • Plate series – new license plates are issued every three years in Nebraska. 2002 is a new plate year so plates issued in 2002, 2003 and 2004 are in the 2002 plate series.

Back to top


To obtain a vehicle record, you must submit an Application for Copy of Vehicle Record * to this office. The application must be completed in full and must be submitted with the appropriate $1.00 fee for each record requested.

Businesses and individuals wishing to obtain more than one vehicle record, and whose reason for requesting the records of individuals other than themselves meets one of the appropriate exempted uses defined in the Act, may attach a list with the required information for each record requested to an Application for More Than One Vehicle Record * and submit it along with the appropriate $1.00 fee for each record requested. (Note: The listing attached to the application is retained by the DMV.)

Businesses that submit frequent requests for vehicle records may wish to consider receiving these records electronically. Specific information regarding this method of receiving records may be obtained by contacting:
301 South 13 th Street, Suite 301
Lincoln, NE 68508-2593
(402) 471-7810

One or more of the following methods of identification must be provided (please remember the more information you provide the better the chances of locating the record):

  • License plate number;
  • Motor number;
  • Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) if request is for a vehicle;
  • Hull Identification Number (HIN) if request is for a motorboat;
  • Name(s) of the vehicle owner(s);
  • Vehicle make;
  • Vehicle model;
  • Vehicle year.

All of the following must be provided:

  • The specific reason for the record request. This reason MUST be one of the Exempted Uses listed on the back of the application form;
  • Full name of the person requesting the record;
  • Business name if applicable;
  • Complete address of the person requesting the record;
  • The signature of the person requesting the record:
    • If the request is submitted through the mail, the signature of the individual requesting the record MUST be notarized in Box 1 at the bottom of the application;
    • If the request is submitted in person at the DMV office, you must be prepared to produce proof of identification.
    • If the request is submitted by an individual on behalf of the record holder, the name, address and signature of the individual submitting the request should be used on the application. The record holder must then complete the section authorizing the individual to obtain the record. The record holder's signature must be notarized in Box 2.
  • Date the request is signed.

Once the application is completed in full, it should be submitted to this office along with the appropriate fee ($1.00 per record requested). If the request is submitted by mail, please be sure to include a self-addressed stamped envelope.

(* Adobe Acrobat PDF document.)

Questions regarding Motor Vehicle Record Requests may be addressed to E-Mail or by contacting this office at (402) 471-3918.

This page last revised 10/28/2015.

Back to top

Exempted Uses Permitted Under The Uniform Motor Vehicle Records Disclosure Act

1. Use by any federal, state, or local governmental agency, including any court or law enforcement agency, in carrying out its functions, or by any private entity acting on behalf of an agency in carrying out their functions.

2. Use in connection with vehicle or driver safety and theft; vehicle emissions; vehicle product alterations, recalls or advisories; performance monitoring of vehicles, vehicle parts, and dealers; motor vehicle market research activities and survey research; and removal of nonowner records from the original owner records of motor vehicle manufacturers.

3. Use in normal course of business by a legitimate business to verify accuracy of information submitted by an individual or business; or to obtain correct information if the above is not correct or no longer correct, for the purpose of preventing fraud, pursuing legal remedies against or recovering on a debt or security interest against the record holder.

4. Use in connection with a civil, criminal, administrative or arbitral proceeding in any federal, state or local court, government agency, or self-regulatory body, including service of process, investigation in anticipation of litigation, and execution or enforcement of judgment; or pursuant to an order of a federal, state, or local court, an administrative agency, or a self-regulatory body.

5. Use in research activities and statistical reports, as long as personal information is not published, redisclosed or used to contact individuals.

6. Use by any insurer/insurance support organization or by a self-insured entity in connection with claims investigation activities, anti-fraud activities, rating or underwriting.

7. Use in providing notice to owners of abandoned, towed or impounded vehicles.

8. Use by a private detective, plain clothes investigator, or private investigative agency licensed under Neb.Rev.Stat. 71-3201 to 71-3213 for purposes permitted under this act.

9. Use by an employer, employer's agent or insurer, to obtain or verify information of a Commercial Driver's License holder.

10. Use in connection with the operation of private toll transportation facilities.

11. Any use if requestor has notarized consent of the record holder and has provided proof of such consent to the Department, as indicated on the front of this form.

12. Use, including redisclosure through news publication, for a member of a medium of communication as defined in Neb.Rev.Stat. 20-145, in connection with news involving motor vehicle or driver safety or vehicle theft.

13. Any use if the request for the record is made by the record holder.

Back to top