Offical Nebraska Government Website

Did you Know?

That there are 2,339,986 vehicles registered in Nebraska.


To obtain Handicapped License plates in the State of Nebraska, the handicapped individual must have a certified medical condition that limits personal mobility resulting in the applicant's inability to travel unassisted more than two hundred feet without assistance such as a wheel chair, crutch, walker, prosthetic or other device.

The definition of a certifiable medical condition may be, but is not limited to:

  • Severe visual or physical impairment;
  • Severe respiratory problems;
  • Class III or Class IV cardiac condition;
  • Loss of all or substantially all the use of one or more limbs.

The applicant must be the owner of the vehicle as shown on the title, or the applicant's parents, legal guardian, foster parent, beneficiary of trust, agent or the named lessee on a leased vehicle. Handicapped license plates may be placed on one motor vehicle and/or one motorcycle.

Any vehicle plated with Handicapped plates cannot be used or maintained for the transportation of persons or property for hire.



  • Applications may be obtained by contacting the Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles or can be downloaded below.
  • Once you have obtained an application, the applicant's portion must be completed in full and signed by the handicapped individual or authorized representative.
  • The applications must then be submitted to your physician for completion of the Medical Certification portion.
  • All initial applications for Handicapped License plates must be submitted for approval to this office.

Before submitting your application, be sure that all areas are completed in full and are legible.

Once the application is approved, a written notification is sent to the applicant. This notification informs the applicant of when the plates will be available at their County Treasurer's office and must be presented to the county official when the plates are registered.

All appropriate registration fees and taxes must be paid at the time of issuance of new plates. Motor vehicle tax must be paid unless the individual is a disabled veteran and is certified as tax exempt by the designated county official.

If you would like to request a Permanent Handicapped Parking Permit be included with your Handicapped License plates, and you do not currently hold a valid permit, you may request a permit by checking the box below your signature on the Application for Handicapped License Plates form. This option can only be used if you are requesting a NEW permit.

The Application for Handicapped License Plates cannot be used to renew a Handicapped Parking Permit. If you need to renew your Handicapped Parking Permit, please refer to the section on Handicapped Parking Permits .

Download a Handicapped License Plate Application *

(* Adobe Acrobat PDF document.)

Questions regarding Handicap License Plates may be addressed to E-Mail or by contacting this office at (402) 471-3918.


This page last revised 9/14/2009.