Did you Know?
That there are 2,224,101 vehicles registered in Nebraska.
VEHICLE RECORD REQUESTS
Motor vehicle records are a matter of public record. As a result, any individual or business who requests a copy of a motor vehicle record and certifies that the purpose for the request is one of the Exempted Uses as listed in the Uniform Motor Vehicle Records Disclosure Act , may purchase a copy of the most current record on a motor vehicle.
A complete history cannot be obtained from the DMV unless the vehicle is involved in litigation. Individuals who wish to obtain a motor vehicle history report may do so by contacting an online service such as Carfax, AutoCheck, Auto Data Direct or CARCO Group.
The following information appears on a motor vehicle record:
To obtain a vehicle record, you must submit an Application for Copy of Vehicle Record * to this office. The application must be completed in full and must be submitted with the appropriate $1.00 fee for each record requested.
Businesses and individuals wishing to obtain more than one vehicle record, and whose reason for requesting the records of individuals other than themselves meets one of the appropriate exempted uses defined in the Act, may attach a list with the required information for each record requested to an Application for More Than One Vehicle Record * and submit it along with the appropriate $1.00 fee for each record requested. (Note: The listing attached to the application is retained by the DMV.)
Businesses that submit frequent requests for vehicle records may wish to consider receiving these records electronically. Specific information regarding this method of receiving records may be obtained by contacting:
301 South 13 th Street, Suite 301
Lincoln, NE 68508-2593
One or more of the following methods of identification must be provided (please remember the more information you provide the better the chances of locating the record):
All of the following must be provided:
Once the application is completed in full, it should be submitted to this office along with the appropriate fee ($1.00 per record requested). If the request is submitted by mail, please be sure to include a self-addressed stamped envelope.
(* Adobe Acrobat PDF document.)
Questions regarding Motor Vehicle Record Requests may be addressed to E-Mail or by contacting this office at (402) 471-3918.
This page last revised 6/27/2006
1. Use by any federal, state, or local governmental agency, including any court or law enforcement agency, in carrying out its functions, or by any private entity acting on behalf of an agency in carrying out their functions.
2. Use in connection with vehicle or driver safety and theft; vehicle emissions; vehicle product alterations, recalls or advisories; performance monitoring of vehicles, vehicle parts, and dealers; motor vehicle market research activities and survey research; and removal of nonowner records from the original owner records of motor vehicle manufacturers.
3. Use in normal course of business by a legitimate business to verify accuracy of information submitted by an individual or business; or to obtain correct information if the above is not correct or no longer correct, for the purpose of preventing fraud, pursuing legal remedies against or recovering on a debt or security interest against the record holder.
4. Use in connection with a civil, criminal, administrative or arbitral proceeding in any federal, state or local court, government agency, or self-regulatory body, including service of process, investigation in anticipation of litigation, and execution or enforcement of judgment; or pursuant to an order of a federal, state, or local court, an administrative agency, or a self-regulatory body.
5. Use in research activities and statistical reports, as long as personal information is not published, redisclosed or used to contact individuals.
6. Use by any insurer/insurance support organization or by a self-insured entity in connection with claims investigation activities, anti-fraud activities, rating or underwriting.
7. Use in providing notice to owners of abandoned, towed or impounded vehicles.
8. Use by a private detective, plain clothes investigator, or private investigative agency licensed under Neb.Rev.Stat. 71-3201 to 71-3213 for purposes permitted under this act.
9. Use by an employer, employer's agent or insurer, to obtain or verify information of a Commercial Driver's License holder.
10. Use in connection with the operation of private toll transportation facilities.
11. Any use if requestor has notarized consent of the record holder and has provided proof of such consent to the Department, as indicated on the front of this form.
12. Use, including redisclosure through news publication, for a member of a medium of communication as defined in Neb.Rev.Stat. 20-145, in connection with news involving motor vehicle or driver safety or vehicle theft.
13. Any use if the request for the record is made by the record holder.