Offical Nebraska Government Website

Did you Know?

That there are 2,339,986 vehicles registered in Nebraska.


A Certificate of Title is required for all types of vehicles driven or moved on the highways and roads of the State of Nebraska unless the vehicle falls under the specific category of Vehicles Exempt From Titling .

The Certificate of Title serves as proof of ownership and only one title is allowed to be issued and in existence at any one time for the same vehicle.

Titles are issued on the county level in the county where the vehicle has tax situs. A Certificate of Title must be issued within 30 days of the date of purchase. There are 93 counties in Nebraska. To determine the title issuing site for your county, refer to the Motor Vehicle Offices .

The exception to county issued titles is titles issued for apportioned vehicles. Applications for title for apportioned vehicles ONLY should be submitted to, and additional information obtained from:

Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles
Motor Carrier Services
301 Centennial Mall South
PO Box 98935
Lincoln, NE 68509-8935
(402) 471-4435

To obtain a Certificate of Title you must submit a completed Application for Certificate of Title * signed by all parties whose names are to appear on the title. The only exception to this are titles to be held by husband and wife, in which case either, acting as an agent for the other, may sign the application.

A fee of $10.00, payable to the designated County Official, and proper evidence of ownership must accompany the application for title. Please contact your designated County Official for information regarding acceptable methods of payment.

Proper evidence of ownership is one of the following:

  • Manufacturer's Statement of Origin (MSO);
  • Certificate of Title properly assigned.

If you purchased the vehicle and were not provided with the appropriate documents to provide evidence of ownership, you may be eligible for a Bonded Certificate of Title .

The designated County Official retains all evidence of ownership.

Sales tax for mobile homes and cabin trailers must be paid before the Certificate of Title will be issued. For all other vehicles that require a title, the sales tax may be paid within 30 days of purchase.

If the vehicle is coming into Nebraska from another state, please refer to the section on Out-of-State Titles .

Military personnel and out-of-state businesses, see Non-Resident Certificates of Title.

Refer to the section on Liens if you need information about noting a lien.

If you are attempting to title an ATV, Minibike or UTV, refer to ATV, Minibike and UTV.

If you are attempting to title a Motorboat, refer to Certificate of Title Motorboat

Questions regarding Certificates of Title for Motor Vehicles may be addressed to E-Mail or by contacting the office at (402) 471-3918.


This page last revised 11/28/2011.