Motor vehicles, motorboats, ATVs, minibikes and UTVs coming into Nebraska from another state, unless they fall into the category of Vehicles Exempt From Titling or Motorboats Exempt From Titling , are required to obtain a Nebraska Certificate of Title.
To obtain a title, the following documentation, properly assigned , must be surrendered to the County Treasurer (if uncertain of the appropriate title issuing site, refer to our Motor Vehicle Offices Listing ):
- Proof of Ownership in the form of:
- Manufacturer's Statement of Origin (MSO) or Importer's Certificate for new vehicles;
- Certificate of Title from vehicle's previous location for used vehicles;
- Vehicles last registration and a notarized Bill of Sale for used vehicles if previous location was not a title issuing state;
- Vehicle's registered by the U.S. Military: U.S. Military Registration Document;
- Vehicles sold by the U.S. Government: U.S. Department of State Certificate of Title;
- Vehicles registered in a foreign country: a current Registration Certificate and/or a notarized Bill of Sale, foreign country ownership documents and import papers;
- Court Order.
- Application for Certificate of Title *
- $10.00 title fee. Please contact the County Treasurer for information regarding acceptable methods of payment.
- Sheriff's Inspection (refer to Vehicle Inspections )
- If a transfer of ownership is occurring at the same time, the seller must also provide the buyer with
a Bill of Sale * or a completed Nebraska Department of Revenue
Form 6 – Nebraska Sales/Use Tax and Tire Fee Statement for Motor Vehicle And Trailer Sales. (NOTE: Nebraska
Department of Revenue Form 6 is not available for download from the Department of Motor Vehicles website.
It may be obtained by contacting the Nebraska Department of Revenue or
any County Treasurer .)
The County Treasurer retains all documentation presented for title issuance. Once documentation has been verified, a Nebraska Certificate of Title will be issued.
(* Adobe Acrobat PDF document.)
Questions regarding Out-of-State Titles may be addressed to E-Mail or by contacting this office at (402) 471-3918.
This page last revised 1/23/2013.